Within the last 2 years, I have taken a dive down a rabbit hole regarding women's hormonal health and one of the most common organs that continues to arise in all of my research and learning is the liver. Simply put, an overloaded liver will often lead to hormonal imbalances. As someone who was previously on birth control for 8 years, I have also learned that supporting your liver post birth control is extremely important.
Not only is liver support important post birth control, it's important throughout our everyday lives because we are exposed to hundreds of toxins every single day. The only way for your body to process and or excrete toxins is through proper function of the liver.
So where do you start? You start by doing what you can to detox your liver, but also by supporting it!
STEP 1: SWAP TOXIC PRODUCTS FOR LOW TOX PRODUCTS
- Ditch plastic, unless it's BPA free. BPA is a hormone disruptor which, leads to negative hormonal imbalances. Exposure to this is harmful. Always choose glass over plastic.
- Swap your conventional tampons and pads for non toxic options. Tampons and pads have ingredient lists- have you ever noticed that? They are almost always bleached (gives them their white colour) and contain harmful ingredients that should NOT ever be in or near your vagina.
- Swap your health and household products for low tox products. Again, majority of your products are being slathered on your body, sprayed into your air while doing more harm than good.
- Herbs are a fantastic way to help flush the liver. I personally take a serving size of the Liver Detox & Support Tonic every morning on an empty stomach in water. It is easy to drink and does not have an overpowering taste at all. It is jam packed with botanicals and herbs that have been proven to help flush and support the liver.
- Another great product that I have been using (and loving) for quite some time now is the Fulvic Acid Trace Minerals Tonic. This tonic is comprised of organic compounds which are able to bind to toxins and help remove them from the body. Again, removal of toxin build up is crucial for hormone balance because environmental toxins are of the greatest disruptors. With over 70 minerals worked into this formula, I'd recommend this product as well as the Liver Detox Tonic 1000 times over. They are both daily essentials for myself to ensure my liver is always flushing and regenerating.
- Consume foods that support estrogen detox, as this is common to see after being on birth control. Foods such as: flax, cruciferous vegetables, wild caught salmon, pasture raised eggs, garlic and raw carrots, turmeric, beets, grapefruit.
- Yes, you read that correctly. Alcohol is one of the biggest toxins that your liver has to process and if you're trying to increase the function of your liver- this is a very important step.
- Alcohol is extremely well marketed as a normalized social thing to do. Just because it's normalized, doesn't mean it's good for you or doing anything for you.
- Reducing stress and learning to manage it
- Exercising regularly (this does not mean high intensity everyday/ not listening to your body's cues)
- Staying hydrated (do not over hydrate; filter your water; add in minerals)
- Sleep a minimum of 8 hours a night
- Increased Energy
- Less Brain Fog
- Healthier Skin
- Reduced Cravings
- A More Stable Mood
- Fewer Headaches
- Minimized Bloating, Gas, Cramping
- Regular Periods
- Less Painful Cycles
- Decrease in PMS symptoms